Stargate Acceptable Use Policy
STARGATE has established this Acceptable Conduct Policy (the "Policy") in order to:
- protect STARGATE, STARGATE's customers and the Internet community in general from irresponsible and illegal Internet activities;
- enhance Internet service quality for all STARGATE customers both now and in the future, and;
- describe, in part, those actions which are contrary to the STARGATE contract pursuant to which the customer receives service, and for which STARGATE shall be entitled to terminate the customer's service for breach of its contract with STARGATE.
Acceptable Conduct Policy
STARGATE customers shall not, nor shall they permit or assist others, to abuse, fraudulently use or illegally use STARGATE products and services. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, STARGATE customers shall not:
- invade another person's privacy; unlawfully use, possess, post, transmit or disseminate obscene, profane or pornographic material; post, transmit, distribute or disseminate content which is unlawful, threatening, harassing, abusive, libelous, slanderous, defamatory or otherwise offensive or objectionable; unlawfully promote or incite hatred; or post, transmit or disseminate objectionable information, including, without limitation, any transmissions constituting or encouraging conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any municipal, provincial, federal or international law, order or regulation;
- upload, post, publish, deface, modify, transmit, reproduce, or distribute in any way, information, software or other material which is protected by copyright, or other proprietary right, or related derivative works, without obtaining permission of the copyright owner or rightholder;
- send unsolicited e-mail that causes complaints from the recipients of such unsolicited e-mail (i.e. engage in spamming);
- send large quantities of unwanted or unsolicited e-mail to individual e-mail accounts (i.e. engage in mailbombing);
- access any computer, software, data, or any confidential, copyright protected or patent protected material of any other person, without the knowledge and consent of such person, or otherwise make unauthorized attempts to gain access to any account or computer resource not belonging to the customer (i.e. engage in spoofing);
- obtain or attempt to obtain service by any means or device with intent to avoid payment;
- gain unauthorized access, alter, destroy, or make any attempt thereof, to any information of another STARGATE customer by any means or device;
- knowingly engage in any activities that will cause a denial of service to any STARGATE customers or end-users, such as synchronized number sequence attacks, or
- disrupt STARGATE's backbone network nodes or network services, or use STARGATE products or services directly or indirectly in any manner to interfere with the use of the STARGATE network by other customers or authorized users.
STARGATE maintains a default open network, with no manipulation or blocking of customer traffic unless a customer explicitly requests some form of traffic management (e.q. QoS, rate limiting, or firewalling). Certain types or classes of traffic, however, are commonly abused and exploited in denial of service (DoS) or other network attacks. Protocols or ports that are excessively abused and do not have a legitimate function on the public Internet may be blocked on the STARGATE network. A list of blocked ports/protocols is maintained at http://www.stargate.ca/support/blocked-traffic.
Responsibility for Actions of Customers
Each STARGATE customer is responsible for the activities of its customer base or end-users and, by accepting service from STARGATE, agrees to ensure that its customers abide by this Policy.
Breach of Policy by Customer
If irresponsible or illegal activity continues, the STARGATE customer's products and services may be subject to termination or other action without notice, as STARGATE deems appropriate.
As stated in the terms and conditions between customers and STARGATE, STARGATE has the right to terminate the account of an offending customer or take other action, such as address filtering, as STARGATE deems appropriate, without notice.
STARGATE reserves the right to modify this Policy at any time, in its sole discretion.